Actions that are considered to be nursing home abuse include:
- Physical assault or battery
- Elder abuse
- Rape or sexual abuse
- Insufficient supply of water or food
- Unnecessarily restraining people into physical boundaries
- Providing or using improper medication
Even if the residents of the nursing house are too scared or unfit to speak up or take legal action, their visitors should still look for signs that, according to the law, can indicate towards negligence and abuse by the nursing home. These signs include:
- The staff delaying or refusing visits to the residents or refusing the resident to be alone with the visitor
- Unexplained cuts, bruises or other injuries
- Bedsores and frozen joints
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Changes in behavior
- Loss of possessions, money gone from bank accounts or changes in will
- Genital infections, bleeding, bloody underclothing or any other sign that might indicate towards sexual abuse or rape
All courts in Los Angeles and other cities of California maintain that the safety and well-being of residents is the responsibility of the nursing home and any sign indicating towards neglect can be legally punished through lawsuit cases. There are three different types of proceedings that can be undertaken in these cases: an investigation, a civil cause of action or a criminal charge. Filing legal lawsuit cases against these nursing homes can ensure that these facilities donât violate their residents in future.
So if you or a loved one of yours has been the victim of nursing home abuse in any part of California including San Jose, Long Beach and Los Angeles, you need to find a lawyer right away and look up possible lawsuit cases that you can file against the nursing home. If you or someone you know was injured as a result of negligence of a nursing home, contact The LA Law Firm today!
The LA Law Firm is located in Down Town Los Angeles, if you or someone you love has been affected by a car accident, product defect medical negligence or even a fall, call (866)383-1462 and schedule your free consultation.